11.09.2012

Yes, I'm blessed. Yes, I'm adopted.

I had an amazingly relaxing birthday and enjoyed every moment of my day.
Every year when my birthday rolls around I am not just reminded how
quickly age is adding up, but also how blessed I am to be adopted by such wonderful parents!

My dad's family has a hereditary disease called Huntington's Corea.
It is an awful disease that slowly kills the nerves in your brain,
and as of now there is absolutely no cure or medication whatsoever for this disease.
My parents had decided that they did not want to take the chance of
passing this disease onto a child that they might conceive, so they began discussing
adoption.  My birth mother was a single mother with one toddler boy already and
from what I know/can guess she did not know who my father was or have
the means or will to keep me.
My adoptive parents received me on December 3 {my gotcha day}
and I haven't ever doubted their love for me since. I truly do believe
that it was the best thing that could have ever happened to me even though
at the time of adoption I could have never known.

However, as I am writing this my daddy is looking down on me from heaven
because unfortunately Huntington's took him from us, but I am so thankful
that I have been able to be a part of such an incredible family.
I should mention, not only are my parents the best but my extended family
is the best a girl could ever ask for and we all forget that I was even adopted.
{In fact, one time we were looking through family pictures and my mom
pointed out a picture and said 'look britt, it is me and you in the hospital.'
Yeah, it was a blonde moment because in fact it was her sister who looks
exactly like her and my cousin, but it made us all smile}

I would love if you would comment any questions
you might have about being an adopted child or the adoption process.
Seriously, ask anything I do not get easily offended and I am super open.
I will then post the answer to these questions in a later post!



In the United States November 17 is National Adoption Day and along
with Sarah from Journeys of the Zoo,
we will be doing a link up for all adopted kids and/or parents.
National Adoption Day Logo

Want to Share Your Story?

Note that "your story" might be about a child, friend, brother, sister that is adopted.
 It does not have to be YOU that was.
If so, here are the details:
  1. Add your blog or name to the linky below.
  2. Write a post related to adoption.
  3. Sarah will email you the logo and linky code on November 16.
  4. Post your story and the linky to your blog on November 17.




14 comments :

  1. This made me smile. :) How blessed you are, Britt! And what an adorable little child you were!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessed I am! :) I was a chubby little child! haha

      Delete
  2. Britt,

    Thank you so much for sharing a part of your story. You definitely were wanted. It's so great that everyone shares in that joy. Love the "aha" moment. My mother and I look and act so much alike that people do not believe I was adopted.

    I'm sorry to hear about your Father. I lost my son Alexander three years ago. Sucks.

    I'm so happy that we've "met" and look forward to connecting further on our joint venture for "National Adoption Day" on November 17.

    Besos, Sarah
    Zookeeper at Journeys of The Zoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited that we have "met" as well too! This is so great!
      However, I am so sorry to hear about your son...I could never imagine, ever!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much! This post is amazing - I didn't know about the day. R son is adopted and we love him so much. He was born from my heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a wonderful mother for adopting! He will greatly appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful post! There is such a taboo out there that adopted children grow up angry and resentful. I'm glad you have such a wonderful outlook. My husband and I hope to adopt within the next couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you the best of luck, and there are so many stories that have turned out well. My parents never lied to me about being adopted and I always knew I was loved so much. It also helped that they never said bad things about my adopted mother but made it seem like she wanted the best for me!

      Delete
  5. This made me smile also!
    I have a question:
    Have you ever tried to find your birth mom & brother?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have and haven't. haha I know it is a complicated answer. I will explain further in my Q&A post! Such a great question though!

      Delete
  6. I love this! I have an adopted son - who I love and adore. He was most definitely "selected" and our family would not be the same without him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel blessed to have been adopted because I knew my parents wanted me desperately. That is way more then most children can say, and I am sure your son feels the same!

      Delete
  7. I'm following youuuu from the SSS blog hop :) I loved reading this post. I also believe that love will grow anywhere it's planted; I'm so happy that you were blessed with such a wonderful family. I'm also happy that your birth mom made that possible for you, as well. Hugs & best wishes from Daydreaming Realist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful for my family and the choice of my birth mother!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...